Info for Families
We know that the choice you made in coming here is a precious one and we want to make sure that you have a full understanding of the school’s expectations. At Leadership Prep Canarsie, we are committed to our students' academic success. We believe that academic excellence is the result of hard work and cooperation between the school, our students' families, and our students. To ensure this hard work and cooperation, we commit to a Covenant of Excellence which describes what the school, our families, and our students are each responsible for to ensure our students' success.
High expectations for students mean high expectations for families – our most important community partners. We hold families to high expectations, and we assume that they will hold us to equally high standards.
Families ensure that their children arrive at school on time every day, in uniform, and ready to learn. Families check that students complete their homework each night. They support the school in enforcing the Code of Conduct located below as well as the Family Handbook. Families communicate with the school frequently to share successes and discuss challenges.
- I will ensure that my child comes to school every day on time to begin school at 7:30 AM.
- I understand that if my child is absent more than 9 days of the school year, he or she will have to repeat his or her current grade.
- I will make sure that my child promptly makes up missed work following absences.
- I understand that an absence is excused if I have contacted the school and written a detailed note regarding student illness, family emergency, or religious observance.
- I understand that my child will have an unexcused absence for events including but not limited to: family vacations, participation at sports tournaments, and attendance at entertainment events.
- I understand that dismissal is at 4:00 PM.
- I understand that my child will not be permitted to enter the building before 7:15 AM
- I agree to check my child's homework daily to ensure that it's complete
Code of Conduct
- I agree to promote and support the rules of behavior as outlined in the school's Student Handbook, and accept responsibility as a partner in my child's learning.
- I will come to school for a meeting if my child is suspended, and I understand that my child will not be allowed to return to class until after this meeting occurs.
- I understand that my child needs to pass all academic classes in order to be promoted to the next grade.
Student Dress Policy
- I will ensure that my child comes to school in proper dress, according to the guidelines listed in the Student Handbook.
- I understand that if my child comes to school out of uniform, he or she may not be permitted to attend class, may need to wait for the appropriate dress to be brought in from home.
Student Breakfast / Lunch
- I will ensure that my child comes to school with a nutritious breakfast and lunch every day, or I will make arrangements for him or her to have the school breakfast and/or lunch.
- I agree not to send soda, candy, or unhealthy foods to school with my child since students are not allowed to eat these at school.
- I agree to support my child's academic work by communicating regularly with my child's teachers and advisor, by scheduling appointments to talk with them as needed, and by attending all Family-Teacher Conferences.
- I agree to attend family meetings and other school-sponsored events on a regular basis.
NCLB Parent Right to Know
As a Title I school under the No Child Left Behind Act, Leadership Prep Canarsie is required to share information on the qualifications of your child’s teacher. This Parent Right to Know information can be found here.
For Current Leadership Prep Families
If you are interested in becoming more involved at Leadership Prep, please feel free to visit the Main Office or call us at 347-390-0570.
All families are encouraged to join us weekly at our Community Circle, which takes place on Friday mornings.